Planning to buy an electric scooter and love the feeling of being “a know” it all? You’ll really know it all as you’re at the right place! What does this mean? The next time you go to a showroom, you’ll know exactly what factors to look for while buying an electric scooter.
Let us first understand the scenario of the Indian vehicle market. According to a survey conducted, 49.7% of Indian households own a two-wheeler, but due to rising fuel prices, many people are switching to electric scooters.
Here are 10 things you must know about electric scooters before you decide to buy one.
1) Build quality
If you’ve ever been to a showroom, the first thing you may do is touch the vehicle to understand its build quality. While this may be an involuntary action, the build of the vehicle helps to define its lifespan. If you are looking to buy an electric scooter, knock on the body to check if it’s a metal body scooter or not. The BG D15 comes with a full metal body that enables it to take on harder impacts. Plus the vehicle is completely Made in India which makes it extremely reliable too.
Flip the product box and read the features is all we do, but for electric scooters, you can’t do this! Another must-know thing about an electric scooter you decide to buy is the features. Now to break it for you, electric scooters have evolved over the years in terms of features. The BG D15 comes with top-notch features that make it ahead of its time. A few noteworthy features of the BG D15 are listed below under safety and technology specific categories-
- Smart side stand sensor: The BG D15 has a smart side stand sensor that will only move from parking mode to drive mode once the side stand is removed.
- Anti-theft alert system: If the BG D15 senses any unauthorised moment, it will automatically activate the Anti-theft alert system to ensure your vehicle safety.
- The ultimate battery safety: The BG D15 comes with the ultimate battery safety with more than 20+ battery safety features.
- Remote lock and unlock: To make it easy to control your electric scooter, look for a vehicle which allows you to lock and unlock your ride with the help of an App. The BG D15 will enable you to unlock your e-scooter when you walk towards it and lock it as you walk away from it.
- Battery diagnostics: The battery is the most crucial element of any electric scooter. And it is important to have access to the overall battery diagnostics, battery performance, state of charge etc., for improved convenience and safety.
- Ride statistics: Look for a vehicle that can view the accurate numbers of total distance covered, riding time, average speed and maximum speed based on daily, weekly or monthly data. This will help you with your vehicle insights and plan your rides accordingly.
- Distance to empty: Range anxiety is real! Look for an electric scooter which allows you to view the remaining distance that can be covered in kilometres so that you can plan your routes accordingly. The BG D15 is the first in its segment to have this extraordinary feature.
Every purchase has one common factor and that is the price you pay for it. Electric scooters in India have been fairly priced because battery technology is usually expensive, but being fairly priced, the value for money for the electric scooter should also be fair. Ensure that you research and understand all the aspects including on-road price, financing options (if available), offers, and the kind of tax benefits that you get when you purchase the scooter. The ex-showroom price for the BG D15 Pro is Rs 114,999, while the ex-showroom price for the BG D15i is Rs 99,999. Please tap the link below for more information on the price
Just like how mileage is a must know before buying any fuel operated vehicle, range is a must know thing before you buy an electric scooter. The range you require totally depends on your usage. Whether you commute intercity or intracity, the BG D15 is the best choice as thanks to the 3.3kwh battery, the BG D15 can go up to 115 km on a full charge.
5) Riding modes
Electric scooters usually come with different riding modes that also affect the overall range. These are meant to prolong the overall range. Look for scooters that come with multiple modes such as Eco and Sport, which let you choose between the kind of power. For instance, if you are driving in city traffic, you can shift into Eco mode wherein the electric scooter will be slow but offer a longer range. With Sport mode, you’ll get all the performance out of the motor, but the range will inevitably be reduced. The BG D15 has 3 riding modes, eco, sports and reverse.
6) Charging time
You wouldn’t want your electric scooter to charge all day while you need it for your daily commute. The BG D15 comes with a charging time of 5.5 hours for a full charge which is fairly better than spending hours every week at petrol pump ques. Plus, to make it better, the BG D15 has a portable battery that can be taken out and be charged anywhere with a normal outlet.
7) Tax benefits
Another important thing before buying an electric scooter is knowing the tax subsidy benefits with it. In India, electric scooters come with a Fame II subsidy. The BG D15 received a Fame 2 subsidy from the central government of India which covered Rs.48,000. In some states, you may get an extra state subsidy from INR 5000 to 20000.
Any electric scooter can perform well in the start, but what you should really look at is the reliability of the electric scooter. The BG D15 comes from one of the veterans in electrical solutions- promoters of RR Global Group . Plus, being 100% Made in India, you can be rest assured about its safety and technology features.
9) Dealership support
Electric vehicles don’t need to be maintained the same way as conventional ICE vehicles. You will not need to take your electric scooter to the service centre every 6-months, as the service intervals are much longer. However, it’s best to understand everything when it comes to after-sales service and other maintenance costs from the manufacturer before purchasing an electric scooter. Make sure that the brand has a good network of service centres as well. The BG electric showroom and service centre is located in over 100+ cities at various dealerships. Plus, due to the build quality of the BG D15 there are lesser moving parts and require less maintenance as compared to others.
You should know the kind of warranty that the electric scooter company is offering and should make the decision wisely. The BG D15 comes with a warranty of up to 36,000kms or 3 years, whichever is earlier. The warranty can also be extended to 5yrs or 50,000 kms whichever is earlier.
Above were the 10 factors you should consider while making a decision to buy an electric scooter. There are plenty of reasons to switch to electric and the BG D15 is one of them. The best electric scooter is just a tap away.
Take a test ride of the BG D15 now.